Sharks D Nikolai Knyzhov tears Achilles tendon
- Ducks' Vaakanainen stretchered off ice
- Lightning donate $2M for Ian relief
- Russians allowed for NHL Prague games
- Leafs D Sandin signs 2-year, $2.8M deal
- KHL North Americans put in tough spot
SAN JOSE, Calif. (AP) San Jose Sharks defenseman Nikolai Knyzhov will miss the first few months of the season with a torn right Achilles tendon.
General manager Mike Grier said Saturday that Knyzhov got hurt while participating in off-ice training. Knyzhov had surgery Wednesday, and the Sharks estimate it'll take about six months to recover.
The 24-year-old Knyzhov missed all of last season with a groin injury and the Sharks were hoping to have him back healthy this year.
He played 56 games in the 2020-21 season, recording two goals and eight assists.
More AP NHL: https://apnews.com/hub/nhl and https://twitter.com/AP-Sports
Updated August 13, 2022